Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Week at the Beach

I return from a week at the beach feeling some refreshment and renewal. It offered me a time to rest, read, contemplate, and bask in the beauty of the waves, wind, rain, and heat. And... humidity.

Our place was an older home, which seems to feel right to me. There is the element of nostalgia of a time where simplicity seemed to be a part of what going to the beach offered. Slowing down to a pace where nothing was on the agenda -- there was no "what are we going to do today?"  Ah. . . bliss.

So... what did we do?

1. Ate pineapple sandwiches on white bread. Yeah, I know. But it brought back memories.
2. Completed a puzzle on a porch - with no air conditioning. Did I mention there was a breeze and the sound and sight of the ocean?
3. Sat outside in the evening and watched a four year old blow bubbles.
4. Took an outside shower where I could see all, but no one could see all of me (I hope!)
5. Read and completed several books.
6. Bought shrimp by the side of the road, came home, boiled and ate it. Devoured it.
7. Took naps. Daily.
8. Pirated wifi a few times, it was hit and miss.
9. Took turns praying from 100 Graces: Mealtime Blessings at mealtime.
10. ate a conch cake...  yum.
11. Saw a Portuguese man of war. It's about the size of my hand or smaller.  Didn't know what it was until I posted it on Facebook to inquire of its identity. 

It was a good week and it's good to be home.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! Love Pineapple sandwiches but had forgotten about them. Think I will have one for lunch tomorrow...wonder if my kids know about them. Something exilarating about an outside shower! Glad you had a good time. You so deserve it!
    Winde

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like the kind of vacation I need! What a scary thing to think that the oil spill threatens the beauty of the shoreline. Here is my ignorance showing - I've never heard of a pineapple sandwich!! Sliced pineapple on bread? I will have to experiment!

    ReplyDelete