Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Holy Boredom

The last couple of days I have felt restless and bored. Yesterday, I could say it bordered on stir-crazy, but that is probably stretching it. The week of the beach is over, a little lull in the action (thank you), so yesterday I will consider it a day where I felt boredom settling into my system.

That is not necessarily something I consider useless - boredom, that is - as I try to look upon it as a time where our weary bodies can find refreshment of reorganizing, finding opportunities both within ourselves to regroup.

When this happens, I occasionally think - things are too quiet - what bomb is going to lower down upon me. But, if I can, I am going to allow this time of feeling bored be a time of rejuventation, of taking care of simple tasks which "have to wait until there is more time". And while those simple tasks (and believe me, if I think it is a big task, I will run away and hide) are being completed, perhaps I can find a time to find in it the sacred mystery of finding the holy in the ordinary.

So with that, I think I will take a small task, complete it (oh for a "P" on the MBTI can be so challenging) and move on, finding boredom as a good time, a thankful time, and a time to fill with the quotidian aspects of life. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. I feel much the same way about boredom ... there have been many times when I felt it was something "broken" that had to be "fixed."

    The older I get the more I am seeing this kind of space as a crossroads, a way-station. A place between. And if I can see it, there is usually a bench for me to sit upon, and rest.

    Until the next bit of life comes around the corner.

    :) Love you, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extravagant unbusyness? Unrepentant napping?

    May you find a good balance of stretching the resting muscles and not ossifying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, that's so wise. I need to remind myself of that the next time I feel boredom setting in. Our culture is so Do-do-do run-run-run. We really need to allow ourselves time to breathe and reflect. Those times are necessary for God to find His way in.

    ReplyDelete