Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday Hymn - Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

Our entrance hymn today at St. John's was "Come thou fount of every blessing, a popular hymn composed in the 18th century by the Methodist pastor and hymnist Robert Robinson (tune by Nettleton).





While reading up a little about the history of the hymn, I discovered that Charles Ives, an American composer, had taken this hymn and placed it in a string quartet. As I went hunting for it on Youtube, I found this lovely video of the String Quartet. Clearly one can hear the tune woven throughout his composition. So I share with you also this to enjoy:

1 comment:

  1. Cathy, this is one of my favorite hymns in the whole world. My son showed me that first video (as I tried not to fall on the floor that my teenager loved a traditional hymn!) and I'm just in love with it. And I like your second one too. The song is just so beautiful, and the words are perfect.

    ReplyDelete