Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Evelyn Underhill

Today the Episcopal Church observes Evelyn Underhill on their calendar. I haven't read any of her books, but I did find some quotes from her that I like. As I was looking for an image for her, I found this wonderful icon, created by Suzanne Schleck, whose work was displayed on the Episcopal Church and Visual Arts.


Underhill lived from 1875-1941 and was a prolific writer. Initially an agnostic, she became attracted to Catholocism, and eventually became involved in the Anglican tradition.
She contended that contemplative prayer was not strictly for nuns and monks, but for any person who desired to practice it. She was a spiritual director and leader of many workshops.

Here are some of her quotes from various writings:

God is always coming to you in the Sacrament of the Present Moment. Meet and receive Him there with gratitude in that sacrament.

God is much in the difficult home problems as in the times of quiet and prayer.

Try to arrange things so that you can have a reasonable bit of quiet every day.
 

For more information about Evelyn Underhill go here:

(permission given to use image by Suzanne Schleck.) 

4 comments:

  1. I love these quotes, Cathy! Thank you for sharing them....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quotes. I'm not familiar with her, but now I want to be. I want to learn more about contemplative prayer-I'll have to look her up.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I just noticed you're reading my book! Thanks, Cathy! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca, your book is delightful. I am trying to finish it up so my friend can take it to her daughter in Clermont - she leaves in early July. I am on the Christmas chapter now. I want my Mom to read it too - I think she will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete