Pages

Friday, April 2, 2010

Friday Five- Revgalblogpals

I don't know when the last time I participated in a Friday Five, but I liked the one for today, though as the poster said - you kind of hate putting one up, but I think she posted some appropriate questions for Holy Week:
It seems almost irreverent to post a Friday Five on Good Friday, so I will try to treat it with some respect. I am still mulling over the darkness of last nights Tenebrae Service, the silence as we left was profound, and although I travelled home with others we did not speak, there was a holiness about it.....and yet we know that holiness was born of horror!

So as we enter into this darkest of days I offer you this Friday Five:

1. Of all the gospel accounts of the crucifixion, which one stands out for you, and why?
   I guess I have heard the gospel of John so much on Good Friday - I haven't given it a lot of thought as to which one stands out from the others to me.

2.Do you identify with any people in this account, how does that challenge you?

I think the I identify with Peter - as we all have some of Peter in us - when things get touch, we tend to lay low.

3. Hymns or silence? I think there is room for both and both I will experience today. The hymns that come to mind are Ah Holy Jesus, Were you there when they crucified my Lord?  and "Never said a mumblin' word"

4. Post a poem or a quote that sums up Good Friday for you? Interestingly, this one just appeared to me today and speaks loudly to me:

The death of a beloved is an event that rings and rings through a life: bearing it is not a problem to be solved, but a long, slow piece of music to listen to. And mourning, like music, is best listened to with others. - Sarah Miles, from her book Jesus Freak (mostly because this is the book I am reading now)

5.Is there a tradition you could not be without, a tradition that makes Good Friday, Good Friday?
Today I am off from school, not because it's Good Friday, but because it is a furlough day. I would much rather get off from school on Good Friday because this day has been so untouched by the commercialization of other holidays. And I would love for the service to be at noon. However, I don't think this will happen.
However, the black veil on the cross is a visual that comes to mind of what makes Good Friday,  Good Friday. The starkness of the church with all adornment removed. The silence as we enter the church (please Lord, make us all aware of the importance of this today - please let's have quiet in the church).

What about you? Do any of these questions leave with a desire to share in the comments???

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Holy Jesus was one of the songs in my mind today as well... thanks for playing! I miss your posts! <3

    ReplyDelete