Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad


For some reason, I was unable to post this on Facebook's Note section, so I figured there was more than one way to skin a cat - so here it is!

Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad
2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa or other small kernel grain (1 c. raw quinoa, 2 c. water, bring to boil with a little salt, cover and simmer 12 min.  Fluff grain with a fork, cover and let sit another 10-15 min.)
1 large or 2 med. (about 1 lb. sweet potatoes)
salt
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
1/4 c. minced red onion or shallot
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. minced fresh chives or parsley (I used parsley)
 
If you haven't already, cook the quinoa.  Be sure to rinse grains well to clean off the bitter coating on it before cooking and drain thoroughly.  Peel sweet potato, dice it into 1/2" or smaller pieces.  Cook it in salted, boiling water to cover until tender.  Drain well. Toss together the potato, quinoa, bell pepper, parsley and onion.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Whisk the oil and vinegar together and toss the salad with about 1/2 of mixture.  Add all or some of the rest to taste.  Adjust seasoning.   Enjoy!
 
I had to add more dressing to the salad today.  At least half again as much. 
 
It is from Mark Bittman's, How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, cookbook.

How I changed the recipe - I added a can of black beans, washed and drained the beans.  I also added diced yellow bell pepper.
 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good to me right now. I also like your modification. I will be making this sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete